Saturday, April 25, 2009

Survive or Thrive; It's Your Choice

Pick one, then, take the other one OFF the table. It will be eliminated, and no longer be an option for you. My girlfriend and I had a conversation the other day that will not stop replaying in my mind...

The conversation went something like this:

Lanie: "We're survivors, Elle, and we're still surviving! I really have hope that things will only get better".

Me: "I cant own, "Surviving", Sister..I just cant. I survived already; that means I whooped that storms ass, rather than the other way around..I made it; now, I'm ready to Thrive".

We sat quiet for a few...Lannie and I both come from similar backgrounds, and truly, I do consider us to be survivors; aside form the biggie that both of us spent the second half of our childhoods in the foster care system, both of us have been sexually abused, both of us have had physically abusive partners, both of us work in the same field, both of us have parallel feelings towards change, the process, and the NOW...

In our NOW, and in our silence, we realized that we really are not surviving anything; We're thriving...

TO THRIVE:

: to grow vigorously : flourish

: to progress toward or realize a goal despite or because of circumstances.



When the cashier asks, "How are you today"?

There will be no more, "Eh, survivin'".

Now respond with "Thriving, thank you, and you?"

Make eye contact..OWN WHAT YOU'VE JUST SAID ..

Allow this.

(Remember, there's not a single other option on the table...)

This is your process, your experience, and your NOW. Make this statement yours, and THRIVE.

Regardless of your circumstances. (Thriving is your birth right).



Abundant love and peace,

xo
Your Sister,

Elle

1 comment:

  1. Love this...TO THRIVE: to progress toward or realize a goal despite or because of circumstances. It really is the only way to look at life, I think. Such growth comes with "thriving!" :-)

    ReplyDelete